Thursday, March 5

Hey all,

I'm looking for a place to keep track of articles-- ones I want to read later. And as a side-benefit, I want to have the articles to look back on as a little scrapbook/refresher. The third benefit I'm looking for, if the website exists to make it happen, is I'd like to make my list available to you. I've thought about posting article recs a lot, but recognize that a blog isn't a perfect match with my want to collect and post bookmarks. My sense is blogs are more commentary, and there must be something more tailored for what I'm looking for.

Any ideas? Do you guys do anything like this. BTW- I generally enjoy getting artcle's emailed to me-- even if I don't always get to them right away. (But I also recognize email is probably the most clunky and improper way to do what I'm looking for.... email is temporal and demands attention... I want something for when I hit a leisure moment I can drop in on what my friend's have bookmarked and anything I've set aside for myself to read later)...

4 comments:

David said...

I think you just described digg. I haven't used digg much, but I think that in addition to the typical use of showing the most popular articles, you can follow what a specific user has posted. And of course you could always look back to see what you have posted. They also have a friends list so you can track what your friends are digging. And it sounds like you are ok with it all being public.

One thing to watch is if you want to keep the articles for a long time you may want to download them since articles do sometimes disappear from the web. But reposting those gets questionable.

Another option is to use something like tinyurl and twitter. You could have a specific feed for articles so people wanting to hear about you don't get overwhelmed by articles. That also gives you a little room to add descriptions of the articles. Twitter solves the blog problem that you don't really want to have a bunch of one line blog posts, but doesn't allow for much organization.

A second blog dedicated to articles would also work. That would be good if you want more room to comment on them and allow others to comment on them. Also if you start tagging the posts it would allow for reasonably good organization. If on top of that you wanted others to be able to post articles you'd need something more like a forum which isn't too hard to make, but is more complex than setting up a blog. If you're only looking to do it with a limited set of people you could use something like backpackit.

David said...

Also if you haven't used the star on the right hand side of the firefox URL bar check it out. When you click on the star it adds the URL to your unsorted bookmarks. It doesn't have the organization and sharing aspects you want, but when you just need to quickly mark a page you want to get back to it is great.

The Owl Archimedes said...

is stumbleupon something like this, plus more? I can't remember if it's a rate-and-save tool, or just a rate tool. Anyway, I've got the same problem- I always end up having a gazillion windows minimized on my dock which is realy annoying.

haha- i totally assumed "eccentric contractions" were just extra-strange contractions. Like a really bad dancer.

The Owl Archimedes said...

hey, just read Dave's comment- i've heard of digg and twitter, but I really like the idea of a blog just for articles. On blogspot, you can have a team-blog if you want others to add articles too.